Monday, June 4, 2007

Rachel Park - June 2 in France

This morning I woke up at 11:00 am, well rested from the previous night’s late dinner (9 pm –12 am) at “Le Palais” in the center of Tours, France. My host family was already awake and told me the plans for the day – swimming! After a delicious breakfast of pain au chocolat, we celebrated Mother’s Day. The family gave her gifts and cards. I also made a quick card for her and surprisingly all the French phrases I had written were correct! Then we sat down to a scrumptious lunch of concombres à la menthe (cucumber mix), brochettes d’agneau (lamb shishkabobs), saucisses (sausages), frites avec des pommes de terre (fries), and framboisier (strawberry cake). In addition, we also had the staple sliced baguette bread and huge plate of French cheeses.

After lunch, Doriane, her friend, and I went to the pool. It was a very large building with three indoor pools and one outdoor pool. There were all heated, but I still managed to get cold near the end of our 3-hour stay. One pool was for babies, one for little kids, and two for adults. Also, there were many indentations in the pool wall with numerous water nozzles that were designed for back massages. I also rode a huge water park-like slide on rubber inner tubes many times with Doriane and her friend Angel.

After the pool trip, I went running before dinner. Then we ate a fancy meal of quiche lorraine (quiche), ratatouille niçoise (vegetable mix of tomatoes, onions, garlic, red peppers), and rillette de Tours (a spread similar to pate). We went to bed quickly afterwards because tomorrow we will go to “Le Grand Parc – PuyDeFou” in Vendée, France. This is a Roman themed amusement park with, for example, a replica of the coliseum with gladiators and live lions and tigers. I wasn’t sure if I understood Doriane correctly when she first told me, but I guess they have tame lions and tigers… I hope. So, even though Mother’s Day is actually tomorrow, we celebrated it today because we will be in Vendée all day tomorrow.

Rachel

No comments: